Subject: [Leica] Re: CLE Body composition
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 16:58:44 +0800

>On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:06:51 -0700 (PDT)
>Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net> wrote
>Subject: RE: [Leica] Konica Hexar RF

>>How does this compare to CL/CLE construction?  Is the Hexar a CLE
>>clone?
>The CL/CLE are also a diecast aluminum chassis but are a very different
camera from the Hexar RF.

A small point about the CLE body - I quote from the June 1981 Modern
Photography review of the CLE "the CLE's top cover which, like the bottom
cover, is made of ABS type plastic coated with a thin layer of metal, and
then black chromed. Although this might be regarded as a retrograde step
from the CL's black chromed metal covers, Minolta assures us that it is not
- - the material is substantially thicker than that used for covers on other
Minolta cameras and it is reputed to be tougher as well."  I have always
believed that the plastic metal clad black chromed covers was the main
reason you see few CLE's with pecks and dings found more frequently on all
metal cameras (like my Rollei 35) and my (sold) CL.
Best Regards
Howard Cummer.