Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Hood Use
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:24:11 +1000

- --------------7744A16C5575BE06ABCD9C98

Aaron Ruby wrote:

> I have been using my 35 summilux and pre-asph 35 summicron (latest) with
> their respective hoods without fail, even indoors. This may be an
> idiotic question, but is using hoods indoors overkill? I understand
> that, at least outdoors or in the presence of strong light sources, the
> hood increases contrast and mitigates flare. Is that right? How
> dependent is image quality on lens hoods in general for these particular
> Leica gems. One reason I ask is that the camera seems much less
> obtrusive without the hoods. I often find that people's attention are
> drawn to quirky-looking 12504 or the 'cute' 12524. What's the good word?
>
> Best,
>
> Aaron

  Aaron, Using a lens hood is never ever never an overkill. At does not only
keep the sun out, but any stray light. Stray light quite often is coloured
and can tone you image.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

- --------------7744A16C5575BE06ABCD9C98

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Aaron Ruby wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I have been using my 35 summilux and pre-asph 35
summicron (latest) with
<BR>their respective hoods without fail, even indoors.<B> This may be an</B>
<BR><B>idiotic question, but is using hoods indoors overkill?</B> I understand
<BR>that, at least outdoors or in the presence of strong light sources,
the
<BR>hood increases contrast and mitigates flare. Is that right? How
<BR>dependent is image quality on lens hoods in general for these particular
<BR>Leica gems. One reason I ask is that the camera seems much less
<BR>obtrusive without the hoods. I often find that people's attention are
<BR>drawn to quirky-looking 12504 or the 'cute' 12524. What's the good
word?

<P>Best,

<P>Aaron</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; Aaron, Using a lens hood is never ever never an overkill. At does
not only keep the sun out, but any stray light. Stray light quite often
is coloured and can tone you image.

<P>Regards, Horst Schmidt
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

- --------------7744A16C5575BE06ABCD9C98--