Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon 4000 dpi scanner?
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:49:39 +0200

From: Robert G. Stevens <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 23:25

> Nikon needs the ICE because it picks up all the
> backing scratches on most films.  My Polaroid
> that uses a florescent tube only picks up deep
> scratched or emulsion scratches.

I believe that Nikon simply has a license to use the ICE technology (whereas
other vendors do not).  It doesn't need it.  I don't use it.  The ICE feature
uses infrared light--in fact, you can scan film using red, green, blue, and
infrared channels, if you wish (software such as VueScan gives you access to the
infrared channel, although I haven't found a reason to use it).

The Nikon uses LEDs as a light source for color consistency.  They are passed
through a diffuser, so the phenomenon you postulate does not occur.  You can
watch the scanner as it operates and see that the light source is diffused, not
collimated.

> At 3,5 or more, the Nikon is better than the 3.4 of
> the Polaroid.

The LS-2000 has a dynamic range of 3.6, the highest of any desktop scanner.  It
shows in the scans.  It's very nice.

As for this 4000-dpi scanner, is it possible that someone is confusing this with
the LS-4500AF, Nikon's multiformat scanner that is available today?  It scans up
to 3000 dpi for 35mm, and it also scans up to 4x5-inch transparencies at up to
1000 dpi.

  -- Anthony