Subject: Re: [Leica] paperless??? Now: OFF TOPIC: analog vs digital
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:19:13 +0200

> As far as the Dead Sea Scrolls (DDS) are concerned, I
> suppose the symbols of the scrolls could be transtated
> into a number system, but I don't see how the *meaning*
> of the symbols can be precisely converted into a number.

Meanings are never converted into anything in a digital system; they are
recreated based on the symbols used in the system.  Thus, the word "tree" is not
meaning in itself; it is a symbol for meaning.  The actual meaning is up to the
reader and writer, not the word.  This is one reason why digital systems make
lossless, error-free communication possible--they don't try to transmit meaning,
they only transmit mutually-agreed-upon pointers to meaning.

> I don't think it is possible to come up with a rule system
> similar to that with an AVI movie.

Ever studied cryptography?

> I suspect that biblical scholars are far from agreeing
> at to the meanings of the symbols.

They don't have to.

  -- Anthony