Subject: [Leica] digital and/or analog recording
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:20:04 +0200

We are in fact rehearsing the debate from around 1900, when painters
and photographers were discussing the relative merits of the medium.
Then and now we had strong proponents of the new technology, dazzled
by the bright prospects and possibilities and the staunch defenders
of the old technology. With hindsight we know both were right and
wrong at the same time. Painting not only survived but thrived and
arguably the best art was produced when painters no longer worried
about photography but developed their own craft.
Many members of this list are acquainted with digital technology and
computers and digital image processing and digital artwork. This
acquaintance with modern technology or new media technology does not
make a person better equipped to discuss these matters or make better
predictions of the future. As the Economist once documented: most
predictions of the last 25 years about  future technology were wrong
or grossly inaccurate.  So beware of persons who predict anything
with a strong voice and an empty body of facts.
Cameras are just tools, be it an F5 or M6 or a digital D1. I find it
quite rash to state that anyone who uses the M6 as a photographic
tool is blind for the future or that we should discuss the
digital-analog area as a simple dichotomy as left-right in politics
or backwards-enlightened when facing the future. The trend of the day
is to go the digital route and I am convinced that one day many
images will be made and stored by fully digital means. The Economist
again noted a remarkable long term trend. It takes 50 years for an
innovation to reach 50% of the population. Digital photography  has
been around since 1980. So around 2030 about 50% of the image makers
will do so by fully electronic/digital means. That leaves 50% of the
image producers (aka photographers) to use analog techniques or a mix
of both.
The current Porsche 911 is not a radically different car from the one
from 1965. So the current M6 and its successors will be fully
adequate for many tasks. I find it remarkable that we are inclined to
discuss these important themes with an either/or approach.  The
chemical process will be with us for a long time because it has a set
of characteristics and advantages different from the digital process
which also has its own set of advantages. If you are a
slide/projection type of photographer or a B&W large-print maker, you
are well served by the chemical tools.
Using these tools is in no way a backward position as one can
acknowledge the use of digital image processing at the same time and
even use both technologies together. I can see and appreciate the
vast possibilities of digital photography, without jumping on the
bandwagon and saying that from now on the Leica M  is obsolete or
that users of the M or R (for that matter) are not seeing the light
of the future. So instead of useless discussions and diatribes, we
should concentrate on the strong points of either medium, assess what
we like or need to use and act accordingly. And yes I have a digital
camera, Photoshop on my Apple and scanners and printers to get any
digitally produced output I like. I even give Photoshop classes at
the regional art schools. And I still use my M and R and do not feel
that there is room for both for the foreseeable future. When doing
Photoshop I even see more possibilities for my M and when using the M
I am expanding my views on Photoshop and the digital world.
Co-existence of real scientific understanding and artistic views  of
both media would help clear the fog.

Erwin