Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted's book
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 07:43:42 -0700

Ken Wilcox wrote:

>After having the weekend to carefully study Ted's book, I have to call it
>nothing short of a masterpiece. I took it to work with me today (middle
>school) and my co-workers, non-photographers raved about it also.

Hi Ken,

>Ted, your use of light is incredible! I'm going to have to learn available
>darkness shooting all over again.>>>>>

It's as easy as falling off a light table stool! :)

And it's sure a heck of lot easier than that flash stuff. :) You just have
to say to yourself, "Gee that looks neat!" line up little red arrows, press
button, take picture!:)

I guess that kinda over simplifies it, but it's truly a simple thing. I
shoot by "feel of what I'm looking at with no fear!" If I'm motivated I
shoot, of course there are times I live dangerously and loose some. But
thems the breaks when you shoot at what you see without any thought of "it
wont work!"  Or much of the technical mind locking information.

In essence, much of the success is due to Leica glass, no question. I shoot
this without thought of the technical side I see discussed so often on the
LUG.

I know some folks want to know all that stuff. But I've never been into it,
although I've found much of it interesting, I dismiss it  once I start to
shoot. Simply because it clutters the mind's ability to react without
thought, but for the feel of image making only!

Thank you for your very kind compliments and that of many others who
purchased a copy. It's truly a work of love without interference of
editors. I had only one person to satisfy, myself and my integrity as a
photographer.

And if you don't think that's a tough editor to listen to! Have another
thought! There's nothing like critiquing yourself while going over sheets
and sheets of contacts, calling yourself unrepealable words!:)  But then
once in awhile, a "gem" and the feel good things of photography  evoked the
little pat on the back, "Damn I'm good!"

A smile and it made the long days shoot all worth while.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant