Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Shutter release time lag
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 06:49:32 -0700

Mike Quinn wrote:

>My only reservation is that while we can anticipate and compensate for a
>CONSTANT time lag, I've found it difficult to adjust to a VARIABLE time lag.
>(That's what led me to turn off autofocus on my SLR's.)

Mike

In this case I've never had to compenate for anything, I don't know about
it! :) And like I said, "What you don't know wont hurt you. But when, as
you say, the auto everything camera does this...<<<<it's maddening to push
the shutter and
>then watch the decisive moment pass when the camera decides to adjust the
>focus.>>

Now I understand why many of the sports shooters I know "turn off" autofocus.

I've never questioned the autofocus per se, as it is an incredible facility
of auto cameras. I've used them and they always surprise me at how fast it
works. But when I'm doing my assignments, it's Leica all the way! ....auto
focus or not.

I suppose it's what one gets used to over the years, but many of the auto
everything "concerns" mentioned here....delay of auto focus, shutter
release lag and whatever else, is something one doesn't concern themselves
with if they use Leica.

Yep you loose some due to the human element of speed of nerve ending fibre
failure....but when you don't think about it because you don't know about
it....then it isn't a concern in the thought process of your personal
reaction to the action time.

Trying not to get philisophical here, I don't think I've done too badly
over the years using manual focus Leica's.  Would I have done any better
with Canon or Nikon?  No! Maybe a few more frames in focus!

But auto everything wouldn't have changed my seeing and reaction time.

<<<<I have the same problem with the "lash" in most autofocus lenses that
>I've tried to focus manually.>>>>>

Aaaaaaaah another foible of the auto focus. Gee I'm learning that my "auto
finger operated" Leica focusing isn't so bad after all! ;)

<<<<<<Variable lags anywhere in the exposure sequence destroy my hard won
experience and force me to think about things that Ted advises me to
ignore.>>>

Now here is the simplest advice, and for absolutely free..... Sell all the
auto everythig gear, well Ok keep one body and a couple of lenses
and....Surpise! Buy all new Leica R gear and your concerns will disappear
like a bursting bubble.

Now isn't that a nice idea? :):):)  Yeah! yeah! I know, I'm pressing my luck!:)

ted

>----------
>Ted Grant wrote:
>>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
>> It's techie things like "lag time." You as a sports photographer don't need
>> to know, unless you are dealing in some type of scientific photography,
>> then it might have some relevance. Otherwise don't even waste your time
>> thinking about it.
>
>(snip)
>
>> Before I went to any major Games, I always set-up with a camera and long
>> lens, 280, 400 or whatever at the side of the highway.  Shooting a pile of
>> film, working on my reflexes to trip the shutter and manually focus on the
>> front of oncoming cars.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant