Subject: RE: [Leica] Future of film
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:23:23 -0400

Byron Rakitzis wrote:
> But as far as I know there are good reasons to switch to digital:
>
> First of all, prints are fragile. There are problems with registration,
> scratches, etc. If you've ever seen a poor print in a cheap movie theater
> surely you know what I'm talking about.
>
> Prints are also very big and heavy, and many copies need to be made. With
> an appropriate network bandwidth, you take away the problem of fabricating
> prints.
>
> There are also probably business reasons (which you may or may not agree
> with or care about) for distribution companies to go digital: I think
> that the companies will consider it to their advantage to negotiate
> distribution rights of virtual copies of a movie rather than physical
> copies.

 	These reasons would make life simpler for the movie houses and
distributers but do not affect the quality of the movie (and especially not
the content). On the other hand do you expect the cost to be passed on to
the consumer? Hardly, movie prices will go up for the 'priviledge' of
viewing an inferior digital image. Much of this can be had today with DVD in
my home if I wish, so what would be the advantage of going to a theater? I
expect a *much* better picture, don't you?

Jonathan Borden