Subject: [Leica] paperless???
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:20:38 EDT

Anthony, you're a nice guy but this is like shooting fish in a barrel. I
can't resist:

You'll copy the images to a different medium long before it wears out.  And

since it is a digital image, there will be zero loss.  This means that digital

images have an unlimited lifetime, whereas analog (film) images do not.  This
is

one of the great advantages of digital technology, and it is one reason why

digital will eventually replace film.

No you won't. A Zip disk, and even rewritable CD technology, is not archival.
Magnetic media last only about 10 years (your old Video tapes are shrinking
and the media on the mylar separating even as we speak.) and is subject to
magnetic deterioration over time. I have seen similar data on CDs. Any stray
electron coming along can screw up the whole works.

> It will be like trying to access all those letters and

> files that you saved on 5.25" disks back in the deep dark

> days of the late 80s.

Easy, you mean?  Just slip the disk in a drive and read it.

uh, slip it into what disk drive? All the 5.25 drives I see are on 286 and
386 computers at the local thrift store. In a year, they won't be available
any more anywhere.

Tell you what, anthony, give me  your mailing address and I will send you an
8-track tape. Your job will be to listen to it, somehow.

Silver, on the other hand, properly fixed in gelatin, on a copper plate or on
glass, washed and chemically inert, has been sitting around for 160 years and
counting. I have a pre-Civil War deguerriotype (sp?) that looks as lovely as
the day it was made.

And my Edison phonograph still plays records, too.

charlie trentelman
ogden, utah.

  -- Anthony