Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Shutter release time lag
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 23:59:52 -0300

Ted:

It was actually the delay from my EOS that got me interested in the Leica
and simpiler cameras that don't need to do all that computing before they
open the shutter.  I had an Elan IIe which was probably even worse than the
A2e.  After I got an R4, I noticed the shutter fired when I pressed the
button, not a  few moments after like with the EOS.  The Canon guys just
said get an 1n and the lag will be less.  At the time, the R4 was much
cheaper than a 1n and the optics were better.

As for lag time, I noticed with hokey things happen pretty quick.  It is
hard to anticipate when the player will make a shot on goal.  The goalie
has a hard enough time of it let alone me.  With a quicker release time,
the puck move a shorter distance before the picture is exposed.  A link to
two examples of this are below.  These were from last weeks game of the
QMJHL in Halifax.  Taken on Fuji 800 professional print film and the 400mm
2.8 APO-Telyt at 2.8 and 1/500th.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/hockey/mooseheads4.jpg

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/hockey/mooseheads3.jpg

Regards,