Subject: Re: [Leica] noct performance 50's
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:32:22 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 01:01

> Makes it much more pocketable. A camera in you pocket
> is a camera that is with you.

True, but the M6 with the Summicron 1:2/35 ASPH is already very tiny!  It's just
a little baby lens--deceiving in appearance, in fact, since it's always amazing
to see how nice the results are.  Somehow a tiny lens doesn't fit the stereotype
of fine optics.

> Put a 50mm 1.4 on your damn Nikon and give it a fair shot!

That would not be fair, because I don't walk around with a 50mm prime on my
Nikon.  The Nikon _always_ has a zoom mounted on it, and normally that is the
AF-S 28-70.  Therefore I need to compare to the AF-S.  This zoom is a very good
lens that approaches primes in many respects.  I want to know if this Noctilux
performs better than the AF-S.  If it does, it is probably sufficient (at least
for my needs) as a general-purpose 50mm lens, which means that with a Noctilux I
would not need another 50mm lens for general use.  On the other hand, if the
Noctilux is worse than the AF-S when stopped down, a second 50mm lens would be
necessary.

> Godless zoom.

A zoom is one of the advantages to the SLR.  Have you tried the AF-S 28-70/2.8?
If not, it may surprise you.  It is _dramatically_ superior to all the other
Nikkor zooms I have.

  -- Anthony