Subject: [Leica] Re: HEXAR RF/M7
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:02:33 -0700 (PDT)

At 168000 that is about $1,500 (USD).  Those people
are going to make a fortune.  Where can I buy KONICA
stock?Or, where can I dump my Leica stock?

I truly believe that it is time for Herr Cohn to quit
sitting on his hands (that is the nice way of putting
it) and get an M7 to market before the Konica people
do.  Herr Cohn has no choice.  If he lets the Japanese
get a foothold in the Range Finder market, they will
eat him alive.

I am sure that Herr Cohn is a highly qualified
corporate executive.  But the camera business is not
like the furniture business.

And while I am at it...Leica is going to have to stop
trying to balance the companies books by screwing
their US distributors.  They treat these people like
s**t (and that is putting it nicely).  The quality of
the products that come out of Solms are equal to a
Mercedes Benz (except for the R8)...however, the US
Leica dealers could make more money by putting TOILET
PAPER in the shelf space that they now use for Leica
products (I'm not kidding).  No wonder most dealers
will try to sell you a G2 rather than an M6.

Now, Herr Cohn may have a guaranteed salary, where he
gets paid no matter what happens to the company.  But,
if I were a large stock holder, I would have been at
the annual meeting raising hell over the lack of
progress being made on sales, marketing and product
development fronts.

The time has come for Leica's board of directors to
hire someone who make things happen.  Leica has the
know-how and the technology to produce the product,
the only thing they appear to be lacking is
leadership.

I would hate to see Leica go the way of ARGUS, or have
the Leica name bought by some large Japanese company
who would prostitute the products, but that is exactly
what is going to happen if Leica's board of directors
does not that immediate and decisive action.

The wrtiting is on the wall.  Leica must start
immediately to make more productive and efficient use
of their available resources, significantly increase
their promotion and sales, and get meaningful new
products to the market place.  The only alternative,
is that the 'Fat lady will sing'...and then it is all
over.

You may not like what I have said above, but facts are
hard to argu with.

Regards,

Bill Erfurth
m6rf@yahoo.com

- - - - - - - - - - - -

From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>

Hi, all.
I just had info about the long rumoured M-mount Hexar
from
a Leicaphile in
Tokyo. The source of the info is:
http://www.yo.rim.or.jp/~k-repair/ (in
japanese).  This shop now accepts reservation for
purchase.

It is also rumoured that M7 which will appear next
year is
based on this
camera.

Konica Hexar RF (released in Dec)

Exposure: aperture-priority AE and manual
Viewfinder: magnification, 0.6; frames,
28mm,35mm,50mm,75mm,90mm,135mm
Shutter: Electronically-controlled vertical-travel
focal-plane shutter
(16-1/4000 sec)
Film winding: auto with a built-in motor, 2.5
frames/sec
Dimensions: L139.5mm H80mm W35mm  560g
Number of production, 500/month

Suggested retail price, 168000 yen