Subject: Re: [Leica] Focotar report
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:25:14 -0500

At 11:15 AM 10/7/99 -0500, Anderson, Ferrel E wrote:
>.  Yet Leica in their literature state the best aperture of the Leica
>enlarging lenses is f8.  Any discussion on this from you LUGers?

I seem to remember being told by someone at Leica that this lens was at its
optimum aperture at f/4 or f/5.6. Hmmm....

>Just a note to add to the subject.  In the Modern Photography test of the V35
>enlarger, they stated that the performance of the 40mm Focotar was the
>best they
>had ever seen with the exception of the $1,600 100 APO enlarging lens (no
>doubt
>the APO El Nikor) in testing with their test color negative.  Theirs was a
>practical test.

Yep, that was back in the late 70s or early 80s. It was that article that
sold me on the V35, and when I later got one, I was not disappointed. It's
the easiest enlarger to use there is and the results are impeccable.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Life is a Lambourghini: It goes too fast, and it costs too much.