Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Leica wide open
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 13:09:06 -0700

Xavier Logean wrote:

> Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:
>
> > Eric,
> >
> > With all due respect, no lens performs better wide open than stopped down.
> > While some may perform better than others wide open, none will ever be
> > better wide open than at say F8.  Most Leica lenses are adequate wide open
> > but incredibly sharp stopped down.  There are some lenses like those from
> > Pentax that are actually better resolving wide open than a Leica lens, but
> > they lose at F8 to Leica.  Look at any of the tests on Leica lenses, and I
> > think you will see what I mean.
> >

> Any?
> Except for the noctilux !?
>
> Xavier

And some of the newer Aspherics if I've read Erwin correctly don't improve much
at all from stopping down. You'll get more depth of field though which for me
99.99% of the time means an improvement. But the issue is what's the point of
buying and carrying around a fast lens if it looks like crud wide open.
Mark Rabiner