Subject: [Leica] Re: Shooting Leica wide open
From: "ctkhor" <ctkhor@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 01:19:43 +0800

Jim,

So sorry about that. I had actually wanted to clip your message in my
posting but had accidentally deleted that issue of the digest that had your
posting in it. As such I tried to recall what you said and summarized it. As
it turned out I was remembered wrong. Thank you for pointing it out to me
... I shall be more careful next time.

Again, my apologies.

James

Jim Brick said:

James,

You certainly have a special way of paraphrasing what someone said. Above is
what you said I said. Below is what I actually said.

Images made with a Summilux, at f/1.4, have some unique properties. It is
not that one always photographs at f/1.4, it is that there are
circumstances that need f/1.4, and there are circumstances that want f/1.4.
But, of course, not all circumstances. If you do not have a Summilux,
then you cannot realize the needed f/1.4 speed or the desired f/1.4 effect.

And Webster's #1 definition of "realize" is:

" to bring into concrete existence : ACCOMPLISH "

which in no way means that (in your words) "only someone who has owned and
used
a Summilux would understand it."

It simply means, "if you don't have one, you cannot easily photograph at a
very
low light level (at f/1.4) and you cannot limit your DOF to that narrow band
produced at f/1.4." Nothing more, nothing less. So please, in the future,
either clip exactly what I said, or ask me to explain further before
paraphrasing.

Thank you.

Now about wasting your money on Summiluxs. I have sold all of my Summicrons
and
bought Summiluxs. Not all at once. Over a period of two years. I'm very
happy
that I did. I use f/1.4 often enough to justify the cost. Everyone has a
different goal in their photographic endeavors. On my Hasselblad and 4x5
cameras, I have no use for anything wider than f/5.6. My M6 is a different
story. I often use it in situations that need f/1.4. Either for very low
light,
or for minimum DOF. Or both.

Jim Brick

James Khor