Subject: RE: [Leica] Travel Photography Made Easy
From: "Francesco Sanfilippo" <fls@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:15:51 -0700

>I will be leaving shortly for about three weeks in
>Europe.  Each year I try to take a little less
>equipment.  This is what I have it down to this year.
>
>M6
>90f2,8
>50f2
>Nikon F5
>28-70f2,8
>80-200f2,8
>105f2,8 macro
>Metz 32 flash
>and UV filters since I will be on a sailing ship for
>about a week.  I am also taking circular polarizers
>for all of the lenses for haze and smog.

Wow!  now that's a heavy load!  Last time I went to
Europe for 21 days I took an M6, a 35/2 ASPH, a 50/2,
and a 90/2.  I was entirely satisfied and almost never
took the 90/2 and 50/2 out of the hotel safe.

>All of the above fits into a Billingham #335 bag.

I fit the 50/2 and 90/2 into a fanny pack (so as to be less
conspicuous by not toting a dedicated photo bag) and
I hang the M6 with 35/2 ASPH around my neck and shoulder
so thieves will have a difficult time of grabbing it off my
shoulder.

>I take 10 rolls of film for every day I will be on the
>ground in Europe.  For low light shooting I am taking
>FUJI MS100/1000.

10 rolls a day!  Whew!  Do you get a chance to do any
eating or drinking?  Hell, that's half the fun of vacation to me!
And as for film, I pick one film, or two maximum, and work with
it.  Astia 100 or Provia 100 works well for 90% of the stuff I
shoot, and for low light, some TMax or Tri-X pushed to 1600.
Simplify!

>I CARRY ON all film and equipment.

Absolutely!  I never let my Leicas out of my sight!

>When you are at the hotel, put the equipment you are
>not using at the time in the hotel safe.

Excellent tip!  I have done that in Southeast Asia and Europe
without a problem.

>I will install new lithium batteries in all of the
>equipment before I leave.

Yes, this is good to do too....even carry an extra set of batteries.

>Register all of your photographic equipment and other
>valueable items with serial numbers with your local
>customs office before you leave.

Very good tip....keeps them from charging you duty tax.

>Lastly, always eat where the older people are eating
>and, exchange your money where the younger people are
>exchanging theirs.

Excellent ideas.....and true, so true!

Francesco Sanfilippo
francesco@incsystems.com