Subject: [Leica] Travel Photography Made Easy
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:53:44 -0700 (PDT)

If you like doing travel photography you may find this
interesting.  If not, it will be a yawner.

I will be leaving shortly for about three weeks in
Europe.  Each year I try to take a little less
equipment.  This is what I have it down to this year.

M6
90f2,8
50f2
Nikon F5
28-70f2,8
80-200f2,8
105f2,8 macro
Metz 32 flash
and UV filters since I will be on a sailing ship for
about a week.  I am also taking circular polarizers
for all of the lenses for haze and smog.

All of the above fits into a Billingham #335 bag.  The
50mm lens is mounted on the M6 and the 28-70 is
mounted on the F5 so I can always grab a body and
start shooting.  The weight of the bag is right at 20
pounds (9.1 kg)

I have developed a system for handling film which
works well for me.  Each film canister has a colored
adhesive sticker on it with a unique number.  The
color corresponds to the speed of the film.  Red
stickers are for AGFA RSX50, green are for RSX100,
Yellow stickers are for FUJI Provia 100, etc.

The numbered stickers have two functions.  First I
carry a notebook so I can record the number of the
sticker and the frame number of important shots (i.e.
picture numbers 20 through 28 on roll FP176 are of
Bill Clinton.  The second purpose of the stick is to
identify the boxes of slides after the film has been
processed.  I have my lab transfer the stickers from
the roll of film to the box of slides (99% of the time
they get it right).

All of my film is in the semi transparent FUJI film
containers.  This means that I have to transfer all of
my AGFA & KODAK film to FUJI containers.  I get extra
containers from my lab.

The containers are also color coded with a piece of
colored paper which matches the color of the sticker
on the roll of film.  This color coding also serves
two purposes.  First I know what film I am taking out
of my photo vest pocket by the color or the paper
inside the cantainer.  Next, as I take the roll of
film out of the cantainer, I discard the piece of
paper and then place the exposed roll into the
cantainer.  That way I can tell at a glance which
rolls are exposed and which aren't.

This color coding system makes your life very simple
when you are out shooting...especially when things are
happening fast.

I take 10 rolls of film for every day I will be on the
ground in Europe.  For low light shooting I am taking
FUJI MS100/1000.  Always be sure to write the speed
you shot this film on the roll so your lab will know
how to process it. I have also seen this film pushed
to 1600.

I CARRY ON all film and equipment.  If the airline
looses my cloths I can get more quite easily.  The
equipment may be a little harder and more expensive to
replace so I keep that with me.

When you are at the hotel, put the equipment you are
not using at the time in the hotel safe.

I will install new lithium batteries in all of the
equipment before I leave.  Oscar Barnack's first law
of photography is: "Batteries tend to die at the least
desireable moment".

Register all of your photographic equipment and other
valueable items with serial numbers with your local
customs office before you leave.

Lastly, always eat where the older people are eating
and, exchange your money where the younger people are
exchanging theirs.

Regards,

Bill Erfurth
m6rf@yahoo.com