Subject: Re: [Leica] Argus Cameras
From: Don McClure <mcclure1@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:09:57 -0400

>A LUGER recently wrote that someone confused his Leica IIIf for an Argus
>camera.
>I know virtually nothing about Argus cameras and this note ignited my
>curiosity.
>I realize that Argus cameras were not in the league of our beloved Leicas (I
>have two), but would someone  please comment on the quality,
>functionality, and
>lenses of the better Argus cameras.
>
>Glen Robinson

Argus C-3 and C-4's were my first cameras, provided by my dad almost 30
years ago. What a wonderful way to learn photography! Completely manual,
you had to think for yourself. The C-3 didn't have double exposure
prevention, providing all kinds of (unintentional) artistic effects. The
C-4 is a much nicer, looks kinda like a Leica screwmount instead of a
brick, and the 50/2.8 lens is much better then the C-3's Cintar 50/3.5.
When I got my first SLR, a Nikon F(T), I thought I had died and gone to
heaven.

Stephen Gandy's marvelous site has more info on Argus.

http://www.cameraQuest.com/

Don McClure
Abingdon, MD