Subject: [Leica] Focotars (was Focomat IC)
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:52:49 -0700

At 3:26 PM -0500 10/4/99, Anderson, Ferrel E wrote:

>The Focotar lenses are excellent, especially in terms of contrast, i.e., in
>their control of flare and color fringing from f5.6 on).  There are three 50mm
>f4.5 Focotar optical  designs.  The first is a modified triplet, or Tessar or
>Elmar design that uses 5 elements, with the front element split into two
>elements.  it can be easily identified by the fact that the lens
>information is
>printed on the front of the aperture ring (i.e., towards the easel when
>the lens
>is mounted on the enlarger).  The second design is a Schneider design, and
>is a
>five element, four component Gauss type.  The third design is called the
>Focotar-2, and is a six element, five component  gauss Leica design of superb
>performance.  These two lenses can be differentiated from the first design by
>the fact that the lens information is printed on the side of the barrel.  I am
>not knowledgeable about the performance of the Schneider designed Focotar, but
>it is described by Leica USA as better than that of the first design,

I have one of the Schneider Focotars. When the Focotar-2 came out, I got
one on trial for a week, but brought it back. I could see no advantage to
it in my work, and one two disadvantages: a) it was going to cost me some
money and  b) it had more vignetting at 5.6 than my Focotar. My older
Focotar is actually built more like an f/2.8 or f/3.5 lens that has a
diaphragm that just doesn't open all the way. The Focotar-2 might have a
performance edge in some part of the envelope, but not in any I tried
during my tests.

I also tried the first Focotar, and it definitely was a poorer performer.
At f/8 (its optimum aperture) it was not nearly as good as the latter
Focotars at 5.6, and probably not as good as the newer ones at 4.5. At f/11
it also fell off noticeably.

I've tried a lot of enlarging lenses, but mostly in the 70's. The El
Nikkors, Componons and Apo-Rodagons of the time were no match for my
Focotar, and even though all the competitors were f/2.8 lenses, they all
had to be stopped down to 5.6 to print reasonably; same as my Focotar. The
f/2.8 apertures were only good for focussing, but even that was misleading
since some had noticeable focus shift.

I also have the Focotar 40/2.8, and while it is a decent wideangle
enlarging lens, it is a definite step down from my Focotar and the
Focotar-2. So I still use the 50's Focotar, and the 40 Focotar if I am
making enlargements that make using the 50mm lens very inconvenient or
impossible. Probably I haven't used it enough to make it worth keeping, so
I'll probably sell it at some point (not right now, though).

One lens I've wanted to try was the 105/5.6 El Nikkor that covered only 35.
Apparently it defined the pinnacle of enlarger lens performance in the
70's. Unfortunately, it cost around $1500 or more at the time that I bought
my Leica Hologon for less than $600 Canadian. Priorities :-).

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com