Subject: Re: [Leica] Eisenstaedt book
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 19:48:38 -0500

At 01:10 PM 10/3/99 -0400, InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:
>, Eisie's choice in a current Leica R would have been limited to the R3
>type.  Still, he could have used an SL2, as many of these seem to be working
>well even 20 years later.  A couple shots were captioned "Leicaflex" so it
>would appear that Eisie had used them prior to switching to Nikon.

I don't think so. He owned Nikons before the Leicaflex system was introduced.

I know from actually handling a good amount of his collection of cameras
and lenses that a good part of his Nikons came from before the Leicaflex
system was all that comprehensive a system. Most of his Nikons dated from
the beginning of the F system through the 70s. I don't remember much
Leicaflex stuff (he had the 400 f/5.6 Telyt). Though his SLR collection was
relatively complete, it tended to be for lenses that were not suitable for
the Leica. That is, macro, superwide and super tele and zooms. And they
didn't seem to be used all that much. An old Nikon 500mm 4.5 mirror lens
looked mint.

His Leicas, on the other hand, were well-worn. He donated the equipment to
the University of Missouri to use a museum pieces. But he kept his favorite
stuff, mostly Leica M, to keep using.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You can find pictures anywhere. It's simply a matter of noticing things and
organizing them. You just have to care about what's around you and have a
concern with humanity and the human comedy. 	-Elliott Erwitt, "More Joy of
Photography"