Subject: Re: [Leica] The artless art
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 17:04:55 -0500

At 05:42 PM 10/3/99 +0300, Bernard wrote:
>Yes, I know I'm exaggerating, but I'm not doing it to
>start trouble. I honestly don't think it takes special talent to take
>such pictures;

Or maybe it's like my exposure to Robert Frank. At first I didn't think
much of his book "The Americans." And I wondered about photojournalists who
said his work got them interested in photojournalism. Well, as I grew and
matured in the profession, all of a sudden I see his work and I'm blown
away! He is a master!

I don't think HCB's portraits can be so easily dismissed. I think they have
a power that is beyond "classical" portraiture. P P of A (salon) standards
and practices are a whole lot worse than his by a long shot!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You can find pictures anywhere. It's simply a matter of noticing things and
organizing them. You just have to care about what's around you and have a
concern with humanity and the human comedy. 	-Elliott Erwitt, "More Joy of
Photography"