Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 Film Catching
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:55:57 -0400

Hi Jerald,

I was exactly where you were 3 months ago when I bought my M6.  In fact I
asked a similar question to the LUG. Keep your head down, it might get nasty
over the next few days ;-).

OK, first thing: the M6 loads like no other camera.  If you have been using
SLRs for a while you must forget everything you have ever learned about film

Second thing: Do it exactly the way the manual says. Put the film canister
half way in, drag the leader across and put it into the spool exactly as
diagrammed.  Push film canister in and close bottom.  That's it. DO NOT TRY
TO DO ANYTHING ELSE TO THE LEADER!! Do not attempt to wind film without
closing bootom in an attempt to see film holes contact sprocket or see film
wind onto take up spool. Do not attempt to use your pinky to push the leader
deep into the takeup spool.  In my experience, misloads have been the result
of doing the aforementioned things or by putting too little or too much
leader into the takeup spool.  I practiced a few times at home watching TV
before I got it right.

Some on this list will suggest putting crimps into the leader or making it
longer.  In my experience this is not necessary.

Jonathan Lee