Subject: [Leica] Re: changes in the LUG
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:26:50 -0700

On 3 Oct 99, Summicron1@aol.com wrote, at least in part:

> LUG could be like this if the members would quit trying to use it as a
> method of self expression and get back to using it as a way to talk to
> others with shared interest. Don't give it so much importance in your
> life.

Right on, Charlie! I've expressed the same thoughts for several
years on the LUG. I'm betting, though, that it will not happen,
unfortunately. The bad content will wax and wane. The basic
problem is that there is an overabundance of ego on that list.
They're all sitting quietly right now, feeling just a bit sheepish
about their behavior. A feeling of comraderie will prevail until the
next OT thread with real flame bait emerges, then, stand back,
cause it'll start all over again. It always has.

As long as Brian chooses not to take a more pro-active stand, I
believe it will remain thus. It wouldn't take much from Brian.
Merely a little nudge now and then...

Having watched the gyrations of the LUG for lo these many years,
I finally got off dead center and offered another Leica list a few
days ago. I don't expect that it will be competitive; the egos will
not subscribe since it is understood upfront that a fair degree of
topicality [sic] will be expected and that personal attacks will not
be tolerated.

We're 79 subscribers at the moment, and so far so good!

BTW, the submini-L list is a model of what a well run dedicated list
should be. The listowner has stepped in a couple of times over the
3 or so years that I've been subscribed, and, as you said, it runs
very well. The troops there are nearly all aces!

Enjoy!

- --
Roger
Mailto:roger@beamon.org