Subject: [Leica] re: filters for b&w printing
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 10:45:11 -0800

folks,

a quick question regarding printing filters: is it possible to extrapolate
print exposure times when changing from one filter to another? obviously (i
hope), i'm talking about using graded filters with multigrade paper.

for the record, i use ilford multigrade iv fb paper with ilford filters. if
my test print, made with a no. 2 filter, is too contrasty at, say, 20
seconds, can i calculate mentally how long an exposure i will have to give
the same image printed with a no. 1 or 1/2 filter, or will this be a purely
empirical operation?

thanks for your help and suggestions.

guy

p.s. just thought i would weigh in on ray's question:

>Is it a good idea to leave a medium yellow filter on the lens all the time
>when shooting b+w?

in my opinion, no. if i were to be shooting a roll or two outdoors on a
sunny day, i might just leave a yellow filter on if i knew the sky was
going to figure prominently in most or all of the images. otherwise i would
take the filter along with me, and put it on when necessary. my problem is
that, since i'm rarely sure that i will remain in the same light for more
than a few shots, i never *leave* a filter on the lens. as it's not very
convenient for me to be putting on and removing filters every couple of
shots, i only rarely use them.