Subject: Re: [Leica] So much for superiority of Leica lenses?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 20:00:07 +0200

Bob,

I think that the excitement about the new lenses is twofold: first, their
appearance allows people to buy seldom-used focal lengths without paying Leica
prices, as I have done with the 15mm Heliar; second, the fact that other
companies are jumping into the manual rangefinder market proves that this type of
photography that we all love is alive and well. I would not dream of buying any
of the other lenses besides the Heliar but I am glad to see that the choice is
out there. Choice is always a good thing.

Nathan

Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:

> I have to admit that the thought crossed my mind how ironic this situation
> is. For all the years I've been in photography I've heard people talk about
> the superiority of Leica lenses. Often folks hold the lenses up as the reason
> they shoot Leicas (they certainly must be the reason people shoot R Leicas).
> And yet, what happens? Someone offers a cheap alternative and the Leicaphiles
> flock to it?
>
> In fairness most of the excitement centers around the Voightlander 15mm --
> admittedly a very special case. Leica users have the opportunity to buy a
> focal length they probably could never justify if they had to pay Leica
> prices and it's a special purpose deal, almost a toy it seems for many Leica
> users. So, anyway, I guess the excitement can be excused.
>
> Still, there does seem to be at least some enthusiasm for the other focal
> lengths as well. What does that tell us? It's hard to say since I don't see
> the same acceptance of using funky old screw-mount Nikkors or Canons. Maybe
> the Voightlanders and Ricohs are just better lenses.
>
> In the end, I think what this tells me is there is an interest in and a
> market for alternative rangefinder products. I've said before and I'll say
> again. The time is ripe for Minolta or some other innovative Japanese company
> to produce a competent, manual focus, interchangeable lens rangefinder with
> modern electronics.
>
> Bob (rangefinders for the rest of us?) McEowen

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium