Subject: Steinway and Boston, Leica and Minox was: Re: [Leica] So much for superiority of Leica lenses?
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 09:50:00 -0700

From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
> All this folderol about these alternative lenses, I'd like to see what
real
> optical bench results are before I start saying Leica's lost it in the
lens
> design department. The new ASPH lenses have no peer, and I really doubt
> anybody else is going to best them, especially with the cheap stuff.

I may be one of the few, but I really welcome the new influx of LTM lenses,
cameras, and possible M-mount cameras from various lens manufacturers.  This
is an indication of the elevated interest in the market, and the full
spectrum of products in the market allows the timid to enter, with Leica
being at the summit of the market.  Having "competitors" filling in the
lower end of the market will help raise the marque.  Leica will have a
stronger presense as the object of desire and lust.

In my mind, I have always drawn an analogy between the camera industry and
the piano industry.  Steinway remains at the pinnacle of the market, but
Yamaha, Kawai and other manufacturers have the majority consumer market.
However, Steinway has always remained the choice of professionals, and an
ultimate piano for amateurs alike.  Mismanagement almost killed Steinway,
but introduction of the less expensive Boston line, manufactured by Kawai to
Steinway's specification, has done much good to Steinway's bottom line
without eroding Steinway's brand name status.  Perhaps Leica will form an
alliance with Cosina and/or other manufacturers to introduce a suite of
Minox entry-level M-mount lenses and cameras, as a lure, while reminding the
consumers that there is always Leica.

Ken Iisaka
Hamburg Steinway B
New York Steinway M