Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Tessar lenses ...
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:28:18 -0700

>Aren't there much more expensive Tessars available?  If so, do the expensive
>ones have the same problem?

Tessar is the name of the design ... no matter how expensive or cheap one
might be, it will still be a Tessar. Zeiss only makes excellent Tessars.
They all have similar behaviors. Front element focusers exhibit it to
slightly greater degree than unit focusers. The only unit focusers I can
think of offhand are the Rolleiflexes with Tessar lens, but I'm sure
there must be a few others.

>> The Tessar lens in it is one of the best in the class,
>> certainly at the price.
>
>I still don't understand how Yashica can put a Zeiss lens in the camera and
>still keep the same price point as the competition.  Do they and Kyocera have
>some special deals with Zeiss, or what?

The old Yashica company was bought by Kyocera a long time ago. Kyocera is
a leader in the development of ceramics and optical glass. Somewhere in
the late 1970s, Kyocera partnered with Carl Zeiss Group, licensed the
"Contax" trademark for an upmarket line of cameras, and formed a working
partnership with Zeiss to provide manufacturing facilities for the volume
Zeiss products. A short review of this relationship is available on the
Kyocera website, <http://www.kyocera.com/>.

The Yashica T4 Super (T5) obtains its Zeiss lens from this working
partnership between Kyocera and Carl Zeiss Group.

Godfrey