Subject: Re: [Leica] Which one is the Leica?
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:26:35 -0700 (PDT)

> ...I was looking at some other slides taken by the T5 today at short
> range and there is very marked vignetting in the images.

It's in the optical design.

The four element Tessar design is remarkably good for its simplicity but
characteristic of Tessars is a certain amount of light falloff and
softness at the corners of the image when used at apertures close to wide
open. The Yashica T5 camera's program holds the lens wide open until an EV
value which allows at least 1/125 second is achieved, then it starts to
close down the aperture. Tessars do their best performance typically
around f/8-f/11. This happens most likely at about EV 15-16, which is
fairly bright illumination.

They are also noted for increasing softness and vignetting when focused
close up due to the front element movement ... most Tessars are front
element focusers, I'm not sure about the T5 design.

This means that the T5 can return some beautiful images with very high
sharpness across the field when the light is high enough or you are using
fast film, but as the light level goes down or the focusing distance comes
in they lose that edge.

Not to say that the T5 is anything but a superb Point and Shoot, you
understand. It is. The Tessar lens in it is one of the best in the class,
certainly at the price.

Godfrey