Subject: [Leica] Americans
From: dkgibson@hushmail.com
Date: Thu Sep 30 22:03:30 MDT 1999

As a LUG lurker, I usually ignore these boring off topic posts, but the latest display of the US centric view of things started me thinking.

Many people in other parts of the world find that "Americans" and "America" like to boast about how great the USA is, and what they do for the rest of us (as if we really want it), while having a blinding tendancy to be in the least bit reflective about their own shortcomings.

Two bits of information from a recent publication here in the UK, critical of the US:

1. They have the highest child poverty rate in the industrialised world (yet they can afford to lose multi million dollar space probes?)

2. They are one of the last countries in the world which still execute children; one of the few others being Afganistan. Although the US has executed more children than Afganistan in the last few years.

Yet most Americans are not even aware of these sorts of things about their own society.

So, what is really so great about the USA? Most likely destined to go the way of all so called "great" empires.

Kevin Gibson

Get HushMail. The world's first free, fully encrypted, web-based email system.
Speak freely with HushMail.... http://www.hushmail.com