Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my 24mm today!
From: "D. K." <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:49:15 -0400

> From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my 24mm today!
>
> It has been raining for a week, and I've been unable to go outside to
shoot
> anything.  I am unwilling to let rain pour down onto my camera.
> If current weather patterns persist, I'll be lucky to get through ten
rolls in a
> year.  I've only shot four rolls thus far.

Well, there are probably more informed engineers out there who'll tell me
what I'm doing is technically idiotic, but I shoot in the rain all the time.
[Is it bad for the camera? I don't know; I just take care to wipe the body
down after every shoot. I wear a baseball cap when I'm shooting in the rain,
and the caps' bill keeps the body reasonably dry.] Rain is actually one of
my favourite times to shoot, capturing images when other photogs are inside
keeping dry, capturing images of people too busy running around town trying
to get cover and couldn't give a damn about what a photographer in the rain
is trying to do. The rain itself and the street reflections make for
excellent texture, composition and mood. Bright-lit sunny days, on the other
hand, get tired fast. Every tourist and his dog takes pictures like that.
Don't be afraid to take photos in difficult and extroadinary situations; in
fact, anticipate and get ready to enjoy them.