Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my 24mm today!
From: "D. K." <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:03:49 -0400

> From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my 24mm today>

Anthony, you bemoan the standard of your own photography, but seem to spend
an awful lot of time in front of a computer screen and (as below) thinking
about running lens tests. I'm taking you at your word, so please don't
misunderstand me. A great camera will not make a great photographer. When I
got my first M6, it was after a decade using Nikon (FM and F3) and saving a
lot of money. I'm a struggling journalist without a lot of disposable $$$,
and the investment I made in the camera was for me considerable. When I got
that camera, I admired it for all of about 2 minutes, then started shooting
like crazy. I would have been cheating myself to do any less. I did nothing
but shoot with that camera for a year, and it probably took me three years
before I became so comfortable with it that it now seems to me like a p&s. I
rarely have to think when I use it now. For that I am glad. But to get
there, I had to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Therein is my best advise
for any photographer to get better--get out (or stay in) and shoot. Same
philosophy aplies for the M6. To become a good photographer, and to get the
most and best use of your M6, start taking loads of photos with the thing,
then cast a critical eye over your work as you develop it. Give yourself a
year. I promise you, it will make a real difference.

> > A huge difference is that the Yaschica/Zeiss lens is rather flare
> > prone, even with a makeshift shade.
>
> I haven't checked this.  Sounds like an interesting experiment.  I'll try
it