Subject: Re: [Leica] Need a Moderated List -- Posting Limits and Required Participation
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:55:45 -0700

Andrew Nemeth wrote:

> What I did say is that a *separate*, different, new, not-connected-
> with-the-LUG mailing list be set up which is moderated to curb
> the excesses and diminish a little the volume of useless posts.

 I for one completely agree.

I don't know the exact figures, but I would guess 80% of the posts come from
less than 2% of the 800 or so LUGers.

and about 80% of their posts are what I consider useless,  often attempts at
brilliant comments, which usually don't succeed, or just useless comments.
this kind of email might be appreciated and appropriate for private email, but I
don't think its such a great thing to waste 800 photog's time deleting it when
most subscribed to the LUG to hear and share talk about Leicas (and other
rangefinders).

of course this post will be roundly flamed by these same people who place 80% of
the posts.

After all, if  LUG posts were limited to no more than 5 a day,  and everyone had
to contribute at least one post a month to stay on the list,  we would have much
fuller LUG participation and those with compulsive email syndrome  would not be
able to dominate the LUG by virtue of the sheer number of their postings, as
they do today.

Stephen Gandy