Subject: [Leica] Re: Polarising Filters
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:16:53 -0700

You didn't need to buy a more expensive circular polarizer for an M camera.
Circular polarizers were specifically made for Leica R cameras so that the
meter would work, and some AF cameras so that the autofocus mechanism would
work. There is nothing in an M Leica that requires the "special" circular
polarizer. Circular polarizers, by the way they are manufactured, achieve
less polarization than the standard linear polarizers. Polarizers are not
clear.

As you said, after viewing through the filter for desired polarization
effect, note the number on top. Screw the filter on to your lens, turning
it so that same number is on top. Remember to keep it on top if you switch
from horizontal to vertical format.

Jim