Subject: [Leica] Re: Got my 24mm today!
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:51:51 -0400

> It disappoints me, though, that Leica has gone to the plastic housing
> on the finders -- I knew they had done this but still, holding one
> really brings it home.  It just doesn't seem right.

These finders are optically superb but unfortunately not as sturdy as
the older metal finders (of which there is none for 24mm).  The thing to
look out for is the joint between the finder's body and foot -- it's
glued.  When mounting/dismounting the finder, press on the foot only,
not on the (finder's) body.  I leave my 21mm plastic finder (same
construction) permanently mounted on the camera, to avoid stressing it.

> Also, I know that true Leicaphiles say not to use protective UV filters --
> and I don't use them on my Nikons -- but I've decided to go that route
> for at least a while with my Leica lenses (if you were to look at the front
> of my Nikon glass you'd know why).  Does anyone know if the B+W filter will
> fit under this hood -- it's a pretty tight fit, not every filter will --
> or do I have to go with a Leica filter. And if so, where can I buy a Leica
> filter on-line?  (it's 55mm btw)

My advice would be just to forget about the the "protective UV filters"
and get a front cap for the lens shade (Leica part 14041).  Keep that
mounted on the shade when you're not actually taking pictures.  I have
such a shade+cap arragement for every one of my lenses.

B&W filters tend to be very deep and probably won't fit inside the hood.
To make it fit, you could grind off some of the filter's front thread.
Also, make sure that the filter glass won't make contact with the front
element of the lens.  Forced to make a choice, I would prefer the Leica
filter over the B&W.

Make some comparisons, with and without your "protective" UV filter.
Be sure to shoot scenes with large overall contrast, like a sunset or
the inside of a train station or a street scene at night.
Let us know the results.

- --
Pieter Bras