Subject: [Leica] Leicas are easier than P&S but not for the brainless.
From: Bryant <tbryant@wizard.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:59:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Luggers,

   The Leica M might be simpler than the baroque complexity of many P&S
cameras (my Olympus Stylus has all sorts of interesting flash/focus modes,
and a Nikon F5 is downright ridiculous in its multiplicity of modes.

    However, I do partially disagree with Ted's:

> It's an absolutely no brainer camera to use. This is so simple it allows
> the photographer to totally concentrate on what is going on around him or
> her with any concern of "damn I'm in the wrong mode. oops! forgot to turn
> on the auto what's it. etc etc.!

    I agree that it's simpler than a P&S.  For me.  I've been setting f/stops
and shutter speeds for 30 years now, and I don't have to think much about it.
Anymore.

    But for the neophyte, there's lots to consider:

       Set the ASA into the meter (easy to forget to do this one)

           o Shall I pull or push this roll?  Experience will help this
             choice.

           . A P&S gives no choice.  Take the ASA printed on the film
             cassette.

       Find something worth shooting.  (Herein is the art, and the most
       important step.  A good photographer with a P&S will produce better
       images than a technically competent, but uninspired, Leica owner.

           o Mount the right lens (15 to 135).  Juggle lenscaps and bodies
             don't drop anything.

           . Zoom.  Very easy.  Pay for the convenience with slower, less
             sharp lenses.

       Meter.

          o Choose the exposure based on the range of tonal values you want
            in the final image.  Only experience can tell you how to do this.

          . Advanced P&S will allow you to tweak the exposure a little, but
            in general, most of us let the camera do the work.

       Set aperture and f/stop.

          o What will it be?  f/1.0 @1/125 or f/5.6@ 1/4?  How steady is my
            platform?  Can I set the camera on the shelf, use the self timer
            and get away with f/5.6@ 1/4?  How much will the subject move?
            is the decisive moment such that I can get away with a 10 second
            self time?  Again, experience is where you learn how to make
            these decisions.

          . The camera knows what's best.  Accept it.

       Focus

          o Which part of the subject is most important to emphasize with
            sharpness?  What sort of blur in what part of the frame can be
            tolerated?  Where to focus on non equidistant subjects?

          . The camera will focus for you.  Hope it gets it right!

       Squeeze off

          o With careful timing, the Leica allows you to get within 1/50th of
            a second of the best moment.

          . P&S has an awfully long time lag.  Forget about critical timing
            here.

          . If your P&S is an SLR, loose the moment of exposure.

    Note the number of decisions that the Leica photographer has to make.  In
making them wisely, he/she is assured of equal or better results than are
possible with the P&S.  These decisions come quickly and almost mindlessly
to an experienced operator.  Vladimir Horowitz did not have to think much
before he rattled off an F# minor arpeggio,  Stirling Moss didn't think
about how to double clutch, and HCB or Ted don't have to calculate which
exposure for what subject.

    They require a bit more effort for a newbie.

    BTW.  KISS really means Keep It Simple, Smartie (or Savant).  Stupid
people have no idea of what is important and what isn't so tend to bring along
too many suitcases (travel) lenses and bodies (photography) or too many
(insert paraphernalia) for (insert subject).

                -- Albert Einstein

(He should know.  He spent his life trying to do this with the Universe)