Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:22:54 +0200

From: A.H.SCHMIDT <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 14:22

> They have about 1/2 a stop latitude if you want to
> do things correctly.

By latitude, I meant the range of exposures for which the film will register a
useful amount of detail.  I've read that slide films will usually do this within
a five-stop range, which is pretty sorry, but I guess it's better than nothing.

I'm not sure what 1/2-stop latitude is supposed to mean.  For anything other
than a gray card, there is no objectively ideal exposure, since so much depends
on what part of the image you want to see most clearly.  If contrasts are
extreme, desirable exposures might well extend over a range of two or three
stops, although I suppose they don't often do so in practice.

> Compared to a well done print or  projected colour slide, your
> Jpeg files look like crap.

You never know.  Some of the well-done prints and color slides you see nowadays
may well have been generated from JPEG files.

  -- Anthony