Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:22:36 +1000

- --------------52C486130E29EA4640456A7A

Bernard wrote:

> Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>
> > It surprises me that film has such poor latitude.  Five stops is only
> > a 32-to-1 difference in illumination.  The JPEG files on my PC can
> > hold eight stops, as can my digital camera.  It's depressing.
>
> Not at all. If it were any easier than it is, everyone could make
> masterly prints. Now that you have to learn something to accomplish it,
> you stand out from the gray (zone V) huddled masses. You can be unique,
> people will applaud you, award you, love you, throw flowers at you, you
> will meet presidents of nations, and have your own expensive backyard in
> Paris. This is your chance, Anthony. Master the craft, and strike for
> fame!
>
> Bernard

Well , Anthony , your jpeg files may have a latitude of  8 or more stops,
and films have only 5, which most films don't have. They have about 1/2
a stop latitude if you want to do things correctly.

Compared to a well done print or  projected colour slide, your Jpeg files
look like crap.

Horst Schmidt

- --------------52C486130E29EA4640456A7A

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Bernard wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Anthony Atkielski wrote:

<P>> It surprises me that film has such poor latitude.&nbsp; Five stops
is only
<BR>> a 32-to-1 difference in illumination.&nbsp; The JPEG files on my
PC can
<BR>> hold eight stops, as can my digital camera.&nbsp; It's depressing.

<P>Not at all. If it were any easier than it is, everyone could make
<BR>masterly prints. Now that you have to learn something to accomplish
it,
<BR>you stand out from the gray (zone V) huddled masses. You can be unique,
<BR>people will applaud you, award you, love you, throw flowers at you,
you
<BR>will meet presidents of nations, and have your own expensive backyard
in
<BR>Paris. This is your chance, Anthony. Master the craft, and strike for
<BR>fame!

<P>Bernard</BLOCKQUOTE>
Well , Anthony , your jpeg files may have a latitude of&nbsp; 8 or more
stops,
<BR>and films have only 5, which most films don't have. They have about
1/2
<BR>a stop latitude if you want to do things correctly.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>Compared to a well done print or&nbsp; projected colour slide, your
Jpeg files look like <B>crap.</B>
<BR><B></B>&nbsp;

<P>Horst Schmidt
<BR>&nbsp;