Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:40:42 -0700

Ted Grant wrote:
><Snip> hooting a 36 exposure roll in all kinds of light.
>
> I'm sure someone will explain how a 35mm shooter can use it in some
> fashion,maybe by using six Leica's at the same time. One for each zone of
> light or shadow?
>
> ted
>
> Ted Grant

Well walking around saying "Oh what a nice zone 6 tree!" could get on the
general nerves.
"Well it's a zone IX day today!!! Check out those highlights! Where's my shades?"
Having Zone system implants in you brain doesn't mean you have to develop each
exposure to place the highlight tone differently from where it falls according
to your meter as most peoples understanding of the zone system doesn't even
involve that. Different Paper grades and paper grade filters changed the
absolute need for that.
But it's good to know when your going to be needing a higher or lower contrast
paper from the beginning.
It's great to have definite ideas as to where your thresholds are in a numerical
sense so you can count on your fingers.
For me its textured shadow is 3
texture highlight is 8
8 is 5 steps (F stops) up from 3. I have a 5 stop range for black and white.
If the 8's turn out to be more that 5 up from my 3's I've got to rethink my 3's.
Clear as mud!
You have your own names for your thresholds and you have determined where they
are and it works for you!
Mark Rabiner