Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:13:32 -0700

Mark Rabiner wrote:
>What you don't know can't hurt you!!!!?
>Having a grasp on zone system techniques as taught by Arnold Gassan gave be a
>handle on what I am doing with a camera.
>Also in my very first photo job doing black and white printing in a lab the
>language that was spoken was Zone system.
>I would have no Ideal what I was being told to do if I hadn't crammed for
>3 days
>with my college textbook which was the Gassan.
>I might have been falling asleep standing on my feel but when they said print
>the pants at zone three I knew they wanted just discernible dark detail (jddd)
>in the pants.>>>>>

Hi Mark,

I've never been able to understand the zone system and admire folks who
wade through all that zone, this, that and every number in the book, before
making an exposure.

The only "zone" I've ever been concerned with is the "demilitarised zone!"
And on threat of dying "didn't get in there!" :)

I guess if one is working a single sheet of film at a time, photographing
rocks,  ferns, peeling paint and non-breathing things, there is an
advantage of technique. However, I've never known of a photojournalist
working 35mm cameras to be concerned with it. Not saying there aren't, but
I can't imagine developing one frame of film at a time! ;)  Or exposing
each frame at some weird number while under fire or at a fire. :)

OK, OK I'll stop!:)

What I have found interesting though, is when some photographers see my
exhibition prints they invariably talk about how well, "I use the zone
system" while shooting with my Leicas. But I never used it, as I've never
understood it. Nor taken the time of learning how one could use it, while
shooting a 36 exposure roll in all kinds of light.

I'm sure someone will explain how a 35mm shooter can use it in some
fashion,maybe by using six Leica's at the same time. One for each zone of
light or shadow?

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant