Subject: [Leica] Spotmetering
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 08:34:52 +1000

Dear Friends,

A couple of years ago one of my Australian collegues suggested the use of
the polystyrine cup as a cheap [and versatile] incident meter. Recently the
group has had a number of requests on lightmeters, which to buy etc, and I
thought I'd let you know what I now use [since the demise of my Gossen
profispot].

Firstly, when I went out to search for a spot meter, I had a number of
criteria:
1. It had to be compact [light was also nice]
2. It had to be versitile [I wanted more from it than just a spot meter
capability]
3. It had to be classy [I was tired of people laughing at my polystyrine cup]
4. It had to be at least as accurate as the on-board meter in the M6
5. It had to work without batteries [I'm sick of battery failure]

In the end I chose 2. The first is more compact, weighs only 270gm, fits in
the smallest of my vest pockets, measures a 10 degree spot.

The second is a bit more bulky, weighs 550gms, fits in a small vest pocket
and measures a 6 degree spot.

Both are beautifully finished, and NOONE laughs when I use them. Neither
has batteries to add to their weight, and both are very versatile.

The first was designed for the CL in the early 70's and is made in Germany:
90 Elmar C
The second was designed in the mid 60's: Tele-elmar 135

Yes they are both as accurate as my on board meter [sorry, you need
batteries for it, but at least they are small] and they both take wonderful
images to boot.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin