Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Consistent underexposure partially fixed, Ithink
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:52:53 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> All kidding aside, palms are a pretty consistent reference source for a
> meter.  Most people's palms are very similar in terms of tonality.  Mine in
> particular is  brighter than an 18% gray card by one stop (to within 1/10
> of a stop), according to my Minolta F spotmeter.  And they're easy to bring
> along to a photo shoot.
>
> Dan C.
It's deja vue time again but in the instructions for my  Minolta F Spotmeter it says
"Lens
Fixed focus for about 1.3 meters to infinity."
To measure my palm I'm about 60 cms. That's less half the distance that is
supposed to be it's shortest distance. Of course they did say "about".
Having just written this I pulled out the meter and tested it.
I get the same reading scrunched up against a wall 8 inches or 20cms away as I
do from clear across the room.
So why do they put this stuff in the instructions?
Mark Rabiner