Subject: Re: [Leica] What I'd like to see.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:49:41 -0700

"James R. Nelon" wrote:

> An increasing number of companies are accepting and practicing the
> concept of cannibalism: a company must destroy its current product line
> through innovation and improvements to create a yet better product
> before your lunch can (and will) be eaten by your competitors or the
> upcoming new kids on the block. If you don't do the destructive
> innovation yourself to create better products, you're toast. And
> quickly. Notice I said innovation for the better, not simply destruction
> of what's working. A product can _always_ be made better, and the
> company that continues to think it's got it all figured out is history.
> Sitting on a successful past is death. Marginally improving your
> products in a slow, methodical manner will leave you in the dust in the
> new millennium. The rules for success have changed, especially
> accelerating over the past year or so with the speed and intensity of
> innovation and knowledge provided to everyone via the Internet.
>
> Jim Nelon

Leica does both.
The rangefinder line evolves slowly proving Darwin at least had a Point but here
are bumps and anomalies when things mutate a tad. Like when you brush up against
a radioactive rock or a comet hits. So they went from screw mount to bayonet.
But they also do crazy and interesting things with their SLR's the R8 took guts
to introduce in my opinion. And lets not forget those zany point and shoots and
the Digital S1.
Mark Rabiner