Subject: Re: [Leica] Color prints surface
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:06:05 -0700

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> If you like Cibachrome but prefer a matte or semi-matte finish, the
> solution is to have Cibachromes made and then use a "fixative" spray ...
> kind of a light, transparent spray paint designed for chalk and charcoal
> work ... to get the matte finish on the surface. Of course, a matte finish
> has somewhat different reflectance and will seem a bit darker with less
> depth than a glossy finish, but you simply have it printed a tad higher
> key to accomodate the darkening.
>
> I prefer full matte finish myself rather than semi-matte or semi-gloss.
> Reminds me of a printing aesthetic from when I was in high school many
> years ago... :)
>
> Godfrey

I disagree Godfrey!
I would avoid any spray like the plague!
Cibachromes or what ever they are called now I have printed with the non
supergloss surface and it's a nice not too shiny not to matt surface. Matches up
nicely with the surface I get when I print from color negs. A pearl surface but
with no fakey embossed texture at all. Just semigloss!
Mark Rabiner