Subject: Re: [Leica] Film suggestions for extremely low light experiments?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:56:34 -0700

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> I'd like to try using my M6 in extremely low light conditions.  From what I
> understand, black-and-white film is the way to go for maximum sensitivity in low
> light.  Can anyone recommend B&W negative film?  I haven't done anything in B&W
> since I was little.  It looks like Kodak and Ilford are the ones who lead here.
> Is T-MAX P3200 any good?  What about Delta 3200?
>
> I'm confused about the ratings of these films.  They say 3200, but then they
> mention that the ISO rating is 1000.  So how do I get 3200 out of them?  Are
> they really very grainy?
>
> Also, how hard is it to get these films processed?  I presume nobody does
> one-hour lab work on B&W (?).
>
> I have not heard good things about the C-41 TxxxCN films from Kodak, so I wasn't
> going to consider those (I want something over ISO 1000, anyway), but if there
> are any contrary opinions, I'd be interested in hearing them.
>
>   -- Anthony

Get a little tank and start running your own film is my advice.
It is my opinion that Fuji Neopan 1600, Kodak T Max P3200 and Delta 3200 from
Ilford all have the same real film speed: 1600. I think so far the best all
around film would be the Delta, cheapest the Fuji and the one to use for grain
effect with Rodinol is the T Max. I think using T Max developer you might get a
real 3200 speed from the T Max and possibly others but I've never liked that
developer although its time for a retry as they've changed it and Salgado uses
it. Get a tank!  In Most places B&W processing is meager. As you are Paris you
could go to the same place that does HCB's and not be doing so bad!
Mark Rabiner