Subject: Re: provia vs. kodachrome, was RE: [Leica] Leica glass/RDP III
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:24:37 -0500

At 09:52 PM 9/22/99 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>I was under the impression that one
>of the reasons that Kodachrome is as sharp as it is, is the fact that its
>layers don't inherently contain dye, and hence there is less diffusion as
>light passes through. Of course being one of the older color processes, one
>would expect that eventually an improved film will come to market.

Kodachrome is three layers of black and white film. The color couplers are
in the chemistry, as opposed to E6 where it's in the film. This the layers
or emulsion are thinner. But Kodachromes haven't been updated in some time,
so E6 films are approaching and surpassing it in terms of sharpness, etc.
If they update Kodachrome film, it will once again be able to surpass those
film because the emulsion is thinner.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a
hobby. - Eliott Erwitt