Subject: RE: [Leica] What I'd like to see.
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:04:23 -0400

The reason I started on this thread was I was tidying up the photo junk that
I've accumulated over the years.  When I picked up the first camera I owned,
Canonet Q17 rangefinder, in comparison to the Leica I noticed a few things:
it's light, with the 40 f1.7 lens it weighs much less and is more compact
than my M6 with 50 f2.  Granted it does not have interchangable lenses and
neither Leica optics or ruggedness,but it also has plusses: besides the
weight, it is absolutely silent in use.  And the 1/500 flash synch!  Jeez,
if Canon could do it 25 years ago, Leica should be able to do it today. I'd
rather see this type of camera that another minilux.

When I was first thinking about buying a Leica, I kept reading about how
light and quiet the camera was, but it's not really that light.  Maybe in
comparison to a fully loaded Nikon f5 it is, but not in comparison to other
cameras.

As far as cheapening the marquee with an M6 lite, I don't think that selling
a braod range of cameras with different price points would necessarily
cheapen the brand. I'd be like Nikon selling the F2 and the FM. Or for
another example take  Land Rover: the old Range Rover and Discovery are
essentially the same vehicle: same engine, same transmission, more or less
same chassis but with different suspension and body.  the introduciton of
the Discovery never cheapened the marque but increased the numebr of people
who could afford to buy the truck.  If there were a decent Lecia body that
was selling around the $1K (USD) new I think a lot of people who wouldn't
buy a Leica previously would also do so. And who would buy it? What about
those Leica users who have a minilux but are now looking to upgrade into a
more powerful camera.

Jonathan Lee