Subject: [Leica] What I'd like to see.
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:13:53 -0400

What I'd like to see in new Leica's:

1. A leaf shuttered Leica. The M6 is quiet, but a leaf shuttered rangefinder
is inaudible. If anyone out there has ever used a Canonet Q17 besides me,
you know what I mean. This camera makes about the same noise as a pen cap
clicking shut. What I'd like is a camera that is similar to a Konica Hexar
in features, AF, AE and program with flash, but with a leaf shutter
shoehorned into a non-interchangable 35 Summicron. Also, I'd like the AF
mechanism modified like the Yashica P&S so that it has a small usable waist
level finder.  This would be a truly stealth camera. You'd never have to
bring it to your eye and noone would ever hear you take a picture.
2.  I like the CL/CLE concept as a low cost/low weight concept.  What I
don't like about it is the different rangefinder and shutter, not to mention
the fact that the 40 lens is not compatible with the rangefinder lines in
other Leicas. So, let's make and an M6 "lite" to sell side by side with the
regualr M6: Take and M6, keep soemthings the same: shutter, rangefinder.
Remake everything else in aluminum and plastic with the idea of cutting the
weight of the body in half. Load from the back if necessary.  Yes it will be
less durable,but the point of this camera is weight.
3.  Market a series of modern designed collapsible lenses of low aperature,
good (not exceptional) optics and decent construction. Again lightness and
compactness are the primary factors here. Say a 35/f2.8, 50/2.8, 90/4.0. The
body and lenses should total to less than
2.5 lbs.

Jonathan Lee