Subject: [Leica] 21 Elmarit vw Noctilux, email server down, short shutter speeds, 2 second M exposures
From: Bryant <tbryant@wizard.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:56:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Luggers;

    My email server died for a day or so; if you tried to ping me and were
told that no one was home, try resending the message, and I should get it.

    tbryant@wizard.net

    On 21mm Elmarits vs. the Noctilux:

    I'd go for the Noctilux, as I'm an available light sort of guy.  I've had
mine for a couple of months now, and I really love it.  My 21 is used for
about 5% of my photos, and the Noctilux for 50%, or so.  Both lenses are
excellent, and you can use them at any aperture without worrying if the
results will be sharp.  They are extraordinary lenses.

    On Ted's advice about Maximum aperture and shortest shutter speeds:

    This had the ring of truth to it, and I decided to give it a serious try.
I've shot this way for about 8 months now, and I agree.  Any loss of
sharpness/ depth of field caused by wider aperture is more than compensated
for by the higher shutter speed's minimization of hand shake and subject
motion.  Perhaps the most useful advice I've had from the LUG, thus far.

    Thanks, Ted.

    On exposures longer that 1 second with an M:

    My M3 will give me an exposure of a little over 2 seconds with the
shutter set on "B" and the self timer tripping the shutter.  I've used this to
get interior shots with a wide angle.  Simply put the camera on a shelf
opposite the subject, point the camera in the general direction, and release
the self timer.  Good trick for when you don't have a tripod.  With ISO 800,
f/1 @ 2 seconds will give you a good exposure in bright moonlight!

   Tom

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film. :-)