Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux pipe dream
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:34:59 +0200

From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 22:34
Subject: [Leica] Noctilux pipe dream

> The Noct as it is by now is the best the designers
> can compute.

Is computation the limitation?  The Leica book I have says that the Noctilux
somehow approaches some sort of limit, but doesn't explain exactly which limit
is being approached.  I assume they were talking about some sort of physical
limit or optical limit.  What exactly did they have in mind?  I understand that
extremely fast lenses are very difficult to produce, but what makes them so?

I once heard that someone (Canon) had once marketed a lens with a maximum
aperture of 0.7.  Is this true?  Another book I read says that the theoretical
limit is 0.5.  Is this correct?  If so, what imposes that limit?

  -- Anthony