Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm Elmarit-M vs 50mm Noctilux
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:05:38 +0200

From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 13:51

> A 35mm Noctilux.....this is a lens that would be fantastic.
> I wonder is such a lens is feasable?

Leica's description of the Noctilux implies that it approaches some sort of
fundamental limits in lens design, so maybe not.  If it did exist, something
tells me that it would be even more expensive than the Noctilux.

By the way, I know the Noctilux is supposed to be a bit less sharp than the 35mm
Summicron-M 1:2 ASPH, but just how much less is this, in real-world, practical
terms?  Is it something that shows up on a test chart only, or only on huge
enlargements, or what?  I can't believe that any Leica lens is going to be worse
than my excellent AF-S Nikkor zoom--or am I wrong?

  -- Anthony